I love to have adventures, explore, and just have fun! I bring along my dogs whenever possible so they can partake in the fun of being adventurous too. They seem to get a kick out of it. They might be small, but they are mighty. They travel with me just about anywhere and everywhere. Life is too short not to play hard and have fun. Sometimes my risk vs. gain judgement factor goes on hiatus and I sometimes tend to do risky things. Some of my favorite things to do is hike, kayak, and ski, but I'm game to try just about anything once.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Caching in January in the mountains?

I like my adventures on the rocks!
You better belive it! This winter has been the driest on record since the 1880's! So I'm taking ever advantage of the wonderful weather before the white stuff flies, then it'll be time for a whole different set of fun! 
A rare snowless January day near Lassen Peak
We went caching just about every day this last week... and we didn't just do the quick park-n-grabs in the City, we busted out the topo maps and headed out deep into the depths of our local mountain ranges. We started off up County Road A-10 (know to the locals as "The 10 Road" and got some amazing views of Lassen Peak with just a minimal amount of snow dusting. We snagged a couple caches that we've been itching to get to all Summer. Mud was our greatest obstical of the day. Tons and tons of thick mountain mud.
Lake Almanor
Later in the week he headed South on HWY89 to a little Forest Service road that winded around to 6,000+ feet and we ran into a very minimal amount of snow. We had some pretty darn good views looking North to Lake Almanor and Dyer Mountain.
We found a few more caches and created a (get ready for this) DUST trail on our way to the old town of Seneca. We came across a quick moving section of the North Fork Feather River on a very beautiful day. The Water was crisp and very cold, about the only thing up in these mountains that resembled what Winter really was.
Near the Ghost Town of Seneca

No comments:

Post a Comment